Sunday, March 28, 2010

My First Day Trip

I arrived in Wellington on Sunday 21 st February at 8:30 am! Thankfully, Rewi was there waiting for me at the gate to pick me up. I was staying at his and his family until I found a new place to live. It turns out that that took 3 weeks, which meant lots of lovely food prepared and cooked by Pat (Rewi's wife). I did do the washing up so I wasn't taking complete advantage of their hospitality.
Anyway, Rewi took me back to their houses, which was located in a suburb called Karori, and showed me to my new room. The house they were renting was obviously previously lived in by a young family. I was given the child's room, complete with rocking horse, small chalk board and a lamp which made stars on the ceiling when the light was on. I also got a rather cool Thomas the Tank Engine quilt cover. Luckily I am short so only my feet were, slightly, hanging over the end of the bed. But, it was a lovely bed nonetheless and very comfortable. I slept very well whilst there and the rocking horse was fun as well.

I was starting to feel jet lagged at around 12 pm, so we went for my first trip to Makara beach. It was gloriously sunny, but as usual for the Wellington area, quite windy. Exactly what I needed to blow away the cobwebs from the horribly long flight. The beach was incredibly beautiful and the coastline wonderful. Considering is was a sunny Sunday is was very quite with only a few people to share it with. We went for a short walk around to one of the headlines and ate lunch on a sheltered slope. I had by this time put on my third sun screen application!! My pommy skin just can't handle this strong sun.

Map of wellington with the subtle arrow pointing to Makara Beach

Makara Beach and blue, yes blue skies!!!!

Rewi and Pat checking out the route.

Luncheon location for the day!

We went back 'home' around 2 pm and I promptly fell asleep until 10 pm!! Not the wisest idea when one is trying to get over jet lag. Fortunately, Pat had cooked me tea, which I promptly ate and then swallowed a sleeping tablet. I didn't wake until 8 am, Not bad me thinks. I was in uni an hour later for my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment